Quite the arty farty
This year has been a somewhat cultural year. We've seen stuff like the Lion King and so on, and we finally got to see some of the stuff we'd booked for this time of the year :)
First on the list was Cirque du Soleil Quidam. I've found a lot of people thought it sucked, especially in comparison to the previous ones and to be honest I was never too interested watching it on tv - there's something about watching it on tv vs being there and tv just didn't do it for me. I was, however, very excited about actually seeing the show, despite the feedback I'd already heard :)
So some people apparently didn't like the whole "do it once ... then do it a dozen more times" factor in the show. To be honest, I didn't mind that. I think my attention span is short enough and I'm so easily impressed that I could have sat there watching for like, another hour :P I found myself involuntarily mumbling "wow" on a few occasions and I'm pretty sure the smile didn't come off my face throughout the show .. except maybe to yawn cos it was a late night for us ;) But yeah, if you're anything like me, I'd definitely recommend it. If you get bored easily, I wouldn't recommend it.
Second on the list was Grease - The Arena Spectacular. I have to say, I had reservations over how good it would be. I mean, I love Grease - always have - and so I had pretty high expectations of the show and I wasn't sure Craig McLachlan or Natalie Bassingthwaighte would live up to those expectations for Sandy and Danny. Surprisingly though, once Craig McLachlan settled into the show he was pretty good - a little annoying (on the topic of "do it once .. then do it a dozen more times") - but still pretty good. Natalie Bassingthwaighte was a whole different kettle of fish though. She was actually fantastic. For the small bits of acting in the show, she was a little annoying and overdid it, but the singing really was the best of the cast.
The biggest disappointment in Grease was probably Rizzo. I was very disappointed with her rendition of "Look at me, I'm Sandra Dee". That's probably one of my favourite songs (along with "We go together" and "Grease") and I barely understood a word of the song. Was mildly comforted to know that another friend who saw the show on the same night thought exactly the same thing :)
That's my .. whoever those guys are that review movies .. that's my that thing that they do, for tonight. For those that want the executive summary (even though its at the end and you've already read the rest):
quidam - see it if you are easily impressed or haven't seen the other shows or if you don't get bored easily
grease - see it if you can afford it - its not a "must see" but its still pretty good .. go buy the original dvd if you don't want to have to listen to the odd person ass their character's songs ;)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home