Just like riding a bike
I subscribe to the whole "you never forget how to ride a bike" thing with a disclaimer. You may not forget how to ride a bike, however it is possible that you are no longer able to ride a bike. Over the years, you remember that you hold on to the handlebars, you pedal, you go. Blah blah :) You don't forget that bit, you DO forget how to balance :)
Having had to get back on a bike after years not being on one, and having to start speaking Greek after years of not speaking it, I declare that getting back into Greek is easier. By far.The first couple of days here, I was just picking things up. Able to read, for example, but certainly not confident enough to speak. After a few days, I started being more confident of speaking back to people and taking part in conversations, with the help of my little dictionary. After a week in Greece, I am now at the point where I can order takeaway for dinner, completely in Greek, with just a few cursory checks of words before I rock up.
Not a bad effort if I don't say so myself, especially after my last attempt at learning Greek was about 16 years ago! :) I will hazard a guess that, since I am now thinking and dreaming in Greek, I will be pretty much fluent when we leave in another 9 day. Yay :D
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home